Submitting a Proposal
Thank you for your interest in publishing with Southern Illinois University Press. We welcome book proposals in the fields in which we publish. To ensure timely consideration of your proposed work, please provide the information outlined below. Please do not submit unsolicited complete manuscripts. Fiction, conference proceedings, and festschriften are not invited.
A proposal of 750 to 1,000 words. This statement, which can take the form of a letter, should cover:
- the names of the author(s) or editor(s)
- the complete title and subtitle
- the length or proposed length
- the content of the book including your aim in writing it, your primary findings or arguments, the sources used in your research, and the relationship your work has to previous studies in the field.
- the intended audience or markets for your book, including courses for which the book might be used as a text or collateral reading and organizations or groups that might be interested in purchasing copies of your book.
- any features in the proposed manuscript that will require special attention in the design and production of your book, such as photographs, line drawings, or other illustrations; charts, graphs, or tables; technical or foreign languages; complex mathematical or scientific data.
- the status of your manuscript, including how much of it has been and when you expect to finish writing it.
Please include with your proposal a copy of your current vita and those of the other authors or editors. Also enclose a copy of the table of contents of the proposed work, preferably annotated. You may also include a sample chapter from the manuscript, if available. Please double-space all sample chapters.
Your proposal will be referred to one of several acquiring editors who specialize in the fields in which we publish. Your editor may follow a variety of procedures in evaluating your proposal. An indication of our decision will follow thereafter.